Home > About Us > Our Heritage

Our Heritage

Our School Locations

1917 – 1930 : 5, 7 & 15 Boundary Road
1930 – 1932 : Kampong Sireh
1932 – 1986 : Boundary Road
1986 – 2004 : 296 Lor Ah Soo
2005 – 2006 : 15 Serangoon North Ave 1
2007 to date: 296 Lor Ah Soo

building.gif

Our History

Paya Lebar Methodist Girls' School (PLMGS) began on 31 October 1916 when the Secretary of the Methodist Episcopal Building and Location Board purchased a piece of land of 93,000 square feet at Boundary Road, to build a school. It was a branch of the Anglo Chinese School and was known as Paya Lebar English School. It started functioning as an elementary school in 1917, with a staff of three and a pupil enrolment of 24 boys. In 1918, it began taking in girls.

MR.gif

In 1935, Mrs Chew Hock Hin became the Principal. She reorganised the school after World War II and slowly, one secondary class after another was added. In 1954, the school presented its first batch of School Certificate girls.

Paya Lebar MGS continued to make improvements. In spite of a lack of facilities, the school did well. Demand for places in the school was great. PLMGS needed to expand to provide better facilities and to take in more pupils, but the idea of expansion was replaced by that of relocation.

So in 1986, PLMGS made its exodus from Boundary Road to its present site in Lorong Ah Soo. With the relocation, two schools were created – Paya Lebar Methodist Girls’ Primary School and Paya Lebar Methodist Girls’ Secondary School. The school was officially declared open on 22 August 1987 by the late Dr Tay Eng Soon, Minister of State of Education then, and dedicated to the glory of God by Bishop Ho Chee Sin. The two schools was later renamed as Paya Lebar Methodist Girls’ School (Primary) (PLMGSP) and Paya Lebar Methodist Girls’ School (Secondary) (PLMGSS).

On 1 December 2004, PLMGSS moved to a temporary school at Serangoon North Ave 1 while its premises at Lorong Ah Soo was upgraded under the MOE’s PRIME Programme. After two years, PLMGSS returned to its Promised Land at Lorong Ah Soo on 3 January 2007. The return is a significant milestone and marks a new chapter in the history of PLMGSS.

In 2016, we celebrated our 100th anniversary. As part of the celebrations, we produced a video to document the transformation of PL from its founding to the current stage.


We organised a total of 10 events to commemorate PL100.

 

Our Principals

Year PL’s History and Principals
1916
Started as a Branch of Anglo-Chinese School in October
1917
Paya Lebar English School (Boys only) 
Mr Robert Hanam 
(Principal :1917-1923) 
1923
Miss Smith 
(Principal : 1923-1928) 
1928
Closed for 2 years to start a new school
1930
Methodist English Preparatory School 
Rev. Daniel Sundram 
(Principal : 1930-1935) 
1935
Paya Lebar Methodist Preparatory English School 
Mrs Chew Hock Hin 
(Principal : 1935-1958) 
1942
World War II
1945
Resumed after the War 
Mrs Chew Hock Hin 
1948
Government-Aided School with 2 sessions

Morning School (Girls) Afternoon School (Boys)
1948
Mrs Chew Hock Hin
Mrs Elsie Hardy 
(Principal :1948-1957) 
1957
Mrs Chew Hock Hin
Mr Gan Kee Tian 
(Principal : 1957-1961) 
1958
Mrs Robert Eu 
(Principal : 1958-1966) 
Mr Gan Kee Tian
1961
Fully Girls’ School 
Paya Lebar Methodist Girls’ School 
Mrs Robert Eu 
1966
Mrs Lucy Kandasamy 
(Principal : 1966-1972) 
1972
Mrs Winnie Tan 
(Principal : 1972-1997) 
1986
2 Schools : Primary School and Secondary School

Paya Lebar MGS (Primary) Paya Lebar MGS (Secondary)
1987
Mrs Lim Kim Chee 
(Principal : 1987-1999)
Mrs Winnie Tan
1997

Mrs Lee Siew Choo 
(Principal : 1997-2009) 
1999
Mrs Christine Ho 
(Principal : 1999 - 2012) 

2010
Ms Pamela Yoong 
(Principal : 2010 - 2014)
2013
Ms Chua Soh Leng 
(Principal : 2013 - )

2015

Mrs Quek Li Gek 
(Principal : 2015-)

Our History at a Glance

1916

The Methodist Church started a new school, a branch of Anglo-Chinese School, in Paya Lebar.

1917

The school began operation with a staff comprising the headmaster, Mr Robert Hanam, and three teachers and an enrolment of 24 male students.

1918

The school started to take in girls.

1930s

The school was known as the Methodist English Preparatory School. School moved to 166D Upper Serangoon Road a two-storey shop house beside Kampong Sireh.

1932

Methodist English Preparatory School moved into a building of a new school and church building at Boundary Road. It had four classrooms and a wooden bungalow

1935

Mrs Chew Hock Hin became the Principal.

1943 - 1944

The school building was occupied by the Japanese forces and was badly damaged.

1945

Mrs Chew Hock Hin restarted the school after the Japanese Occupation. The morning school, Paya Lebar Methodist Girls’ School, attended by girls; and the afternoon school, Paya Lebar Methodist Boys’ School, attended by boys, were established.

1949

Paya Lebar Methodist Girls' School became a government-aided school.

1953

The Shaw Auditorium, Domestic Science room and four classrooms were built.

1954

The first batch of 12 girls who took the School Certificate Examinations achieved 100% passes.

1956

PLMGS Alumni Association was inaugurated.

1958

Mrs Robert Eu became the Principal.

1961

The school became a fully girls’ school - Paya Lebar Methodist Girls' School

1966

Mrs Lucy Kandasamy became the Principal.

1972

Mrs Winnie Tan who was a former student and teacher of the school became the Principal. Musical: "Green, Green Singapore"

1973

Musical: "Little Butterfly"

1976

Musical: "Alice in Wonderland"

1977

Musical: "China Silk"

1978

Musical: "Thumbellina"

1979

Musical: "Roots and Shoots"

1981

A fund raising Easter Fair was organised at the Kallang Amusement Park.

1982

A school visit was made by President Devan Nair.

1983

A fund raising concert, "It's A Small World" was organised.

1984

A school visit was made by the Minister for Defence, Mr Goh Chok Tong.

1986

PLMGS made its exodus from Boundary Road to its present site in Lorong Ah Soo. Mrs Lim Kim Chee was appointed Principal of PLMGS (Pri). Mrs Winnie Tan remained as Principal of PLMGS (Sec).

1987

Official Opening of PLMGS (Pri & Sec) at Lorong Ah Soo by the late Dr Tay Eng Soon, Minister of State of Education

1991

75th Anniversary Celebrations

1992

Opening and dedication of Ebenezer Block at PLMGS (Sec)

1994

Musical: "Miracle After Miracle"

1996

80th Anniversary Celebrations. Musical: "Gideon"

1997

Mrs Winnie Tan retired after 25 years as Principal. Mrs Lee Siew Choo was appointed as Principal of PLMGS (Sec).

1999

Mrs Christine Ho was appointed Principal of PLMGS (Pri).

2000

Musical: "The Great I Am"

2001

PLMGS (Sec) became an Autonomous School.

2002

PLMGS (Sec) was awarded Singapore Quality Class

2003

Students in PLMGS are called 'PL-Lites'

2004

Musical: "My Father's Hand"

2005

PLMGS (Sec) moved to Serangoon Ave 1 as the school buildings were renovated.

2006

A 90-hour Music Marathon held at Millenia Walk and recorded in Singapore Book of Records

2007

PLMGS (Sec) moved back to Lorong Ah Soo.

2008

Musical: "My Father's Gift"

2010

Miss Pamela Yoong was appointed Principal of PLMGS (Sec).

2012

PLMGS (Sec) awarded School Excellence Award. Muscial: "For God So Loved"

2013

Ms Chua Soh Leng was appointed Principal of PLMGS (Pri). PLMGS (Pri) went single session.

2014

PLMGS (Pri) awarded School Distinction Award.

2014

Mrs Quek Li Gek was appointed Principal of PLMGS (Sec).

2016

PL100 Celebrations and Musical "Created for His Glory"